What does it take to help others to conversion.
- Alma 17:3 Given themselves to much prayer and fasting
- Alma 17:9 – Fasted much and prayed much that the Lord would grant unto them a portion of his Spirit.
Recognition and full awareness of the Task at Hand:
- Alma 17:14-16 – The Lamanites were in bad shape.
- Alma 21:3-4 – Built synagogues after the order of the Nehors.
- v5, 6 – Why haven’t we seen angels? How do you know we have cause to repent?
Willingness to serve.
- Alma 17:11 – Patient in long-suffering and afflictions, showing good examples. Become instruments in God’s hands. Establish the word of God.
- Alma 17:23, 25
- Alma 22:3 – Aaron expresses a desire to serve.
Deep Faith in His Abilities to Solve Difficult Problems
- Alma 17:29, 31 – Didn’t give up when flocks were scattered. Re-gathered and defended them.
A Deep Concern/Love for those We Serve
- Alma 17:23, 25 – Desire to dwell with this people for the long haul, even until they day I die.
- Alma 18:10
- Alma 19: 8-9 – Perhaps the Queen was already converted. She believed readily in the words of Ammon who she felt was a prophet from God.Alma
- 19:14 – Ammon’s deep love for these people.
Your Worldview Gets Disrupted
- Alma 18: 4, 5 – He worried that he had done wrong in slaying his servents.
- Alma 19:17 – The people would see their political leaders collapsed with a Nephite.
- Alma 19:29 – Abish took the queen and lifted her up. The Queen’s testimony.
- Alma 20:26 – Ammon had no desire to destroy him and had deep love for his son Lamoni.
- Alma 22:3, 5 – For I have been somewhat troubled in mind because of the generosity and greatness of the words of thy brother.
- Alma 22:22-23 Aaron raised the king. Family and servants are converted by the king.
- Alma 22:25 – The king administered the people.
- Alma 23:2-4 King changed the laws, culture and systems to give the gospel more currency with the people – allowing for broad conversion.
- Alma 24:23-24 Converted when they saw their brethren praise God while being slain.
- Alma 25:6 Converted after much loss and many afflictions stirring them up in remembrance of the words which Aaron and his brethren had preached.
- Alma 25:13 Could not overpower the Nephites returned to dwell with those who were converted and then converted.
Teach about God first, history second, redemption third
- Alma 18:25-33 – Ammon teaches about God.
- Alma 18:36-38 – Their history from Adam to present.
- Alma 18:39 – Plan of redemption.
- Alma 22:7 – Start with God.
- Alma 22:13 – Began with the creation of Adam, the fall, the redemption.
- Alma 23:5 – Thousands brought to the incorrect traditions of the Nephites.
The individual’s own heart has to be open and willing to experience the full weight of their reality and dependence on God’s grace
- Alma 18:40-41 King Lamoni’s prayer and collapse
- Alma 19:6 – Ammon knew he was experiencing the marvelous light of his goodness.
- Alma 19:13 – I have seen my Redeemer. Born of a woman.
- Alma 19:16 – Abish’s earlier conversion on an ccount of her father’s vision.
- Alma 22:15 – What shall I do that/ That I may be born of God and have this wicked spirit rooted out of my breast?
- Alma 22:18 – If there is a God, if thou art God, make thyself known unto me.
Results of Conversion
- Alma 19:33 – They had no more desire to do evil.
- Alma 23:6,7 – Converted and never did fall away. Became a righteous people, laid down weapons of rebellion..
- Alma 23:16-18 – A new name, Became an industrious people, friendly with the Nephites, the curse of God did no more follow them.
- Alma 24:6 Now there was not one soul who would take up arms against their brothers.
- Alma 24:8 – Soft hearts.
- Alma 24:10 – Taken away our guilt through the merits of his Son.
- Alma 24:17-18 They ritually buried their swords into the earth as a testimony
- Alma 24:21 – They did run up to meet them, prostrated themselves before the earth, called on the name of the Lord.
- Alma 25:15 – Obedient to the law of Moses – a type of Christ’s coming.
- Alma 25:16 – The law did serve to strengthen their faith in Christ.
- Alma 27:17 Joy of Ammon was so great, swallowed up in the joy of his God.
- Alma 27:18 None receiveth it save the truly penitent and humble seeker of happiness.
- Alma 27:27 – Distinguished for their zeal towards God and men. Perfectly honest and upright, firm in the faith of Christ.
The Two Prayers
Prayers of Ammon – Alma 26
- What were his blessings.
- Alma 26:3 – Lamanite conversion.
- Alma 26: 9 Brethren – who were enemies.
Sing the song of redeeming love.
Alma 26: 21 – No one knows these things save it be the penitent.
Alma 26:22 – Repent, exercise faith, bring forth good works, pray constantly, know the mysteries of God
Alma 26:37 – God is mindful of every people.
Prayers of Alma – Alma 29
Oh that I were an angel.
Alma 29:2 – That there not be sorrow upon all the earth.
Alma 29:4 – I ought not to harrow
v11 Remembererd the captivity of his fathers.